Unieuph

Universalist, Euphoniumist

"I guess I'm just attracted to talent"
-Gretchen Snedeker (d. 2008)

Friday, April 14, 2006

LotW (v)

This link marks the beginning of the cycle, whereby I only allow four links on the LotW list (to avoid cluttering). It should work out so you can check the monthly archives, and see the list of links for that month. If I ever lose a link, and you want me to find it, let me know.

And on to the link...

Sometime around my freshman year in college (I can't remember if it was before or after), I was invited to see the Blue Man Group perform in DTE (it's in Michigan). I had seen their theatre performance in Chicago, but not their more "rock-concert" event that was on tour. Anyway, I agreed.

I can't remember the first opening band, but I do recall their second: Venus Hum. I saw on stage three people, two guys working electronics, and one woman singing. The music was pretty intense, with a lot of well-designed effects, and it could, at points, be quite loud and brash. But all I truly remember of their performance was Annette, the singer, jumping around on stage like she had had a lot of sugar. It wasn't aggressive; it was fun. Added to this was her rather conservative choice of clothing; it was like she was dressed for church. Enjoying it so much, I turned to my friend and said, "I'm going to marry her."

Well, four or so years later and no proposal. But I have found their website! Sadly, I don't think they have been able to pick up any momentum they had back then. The reviews I have found of the first major album "Big Beautiful Sky" have been extremely positive. The website is well-designed, but still incomplete. You can buy their CD's for significantly reduced prices (BBS is $10, Songs for Superheroes is $6!) I hope they finish bios et. al. soon, but for now I'll be content with the downloadable samples (which have gotten significant airplay this week on my computer).

So, here's to Venus Hum. And here's to fun and innocence. And here's to Soul-Sloshing.

//End of Post//

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home