Unieuph

Universalist, Euphoniumist

"I guess I'm just attracted to talent"
-Gretchen Snedeker (d. 2008)

Monday, April 03, 2006

Control (Dada II, i)

Hello Christopher,

Unfortunately we do not allow lyric changes of our classic Disney copyrights.
If you are not changing the song/lyrics and I misunderstood your request then
please let me know. Otherwise I am sorry I couldn't give you a more favorable
reply.

Regards,

XXXXXX

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Coyne [XXXXXX]
Sent: Friday, July 16, 2004 9:05 PM
To: XXXXXX
Subject: RE: Disney Permission (ZIP-A-DEE-DOO-DAH)


Dear XXXXXX,

I am still interested in using "Zip-a-dee-doo-dah." The request is for
"derivative use" rather than "performance" because I wish to implement the
song into a current composition. The earliest performance would be Spring
of 2005.

I will send an artist's statement as well as further description of the use
and meaning behind my choosing "Zip-a-dee-doo-dah" upon request. I have
prepared a substitute song in the event that I cannot receive permission,
but I would prefer Disney's tune.

Please reply promptly, I am currently reviving the piece from a two-month
hiatus and wish to have it underway and completed by the end of the summer.
Thank you for your time and patience. I have provided the e-mail you sent
for further reference.

Sincerely,

C. Cody Coyne


>From: "XXXXXX" <XXXXXX>
>To: <XXXXXX>
>Subject: Disney Permission
>Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 15:42:29 -0700
>
>Hello C. Cody,
>
>I am writing to see if you are still interested in using Zip-a-dee-doo-dah
>in your performance at the Eastman School of Music. If we missed your event
>date I apologize for our delay in responding to your request. If your event
>date is approaching I would be happy to help you with your request. Let me
>know where you are at and I will try and assist you.
>
>Thank you for your interest in Disney music!
>
>Regards,
>
>XXXXXX



That was the e-mail of a Sad Little Boy, back in 2004. He just wanted to write a compositional cycle, as he desperately explained in a follow-up:

Daer(sic) XXXXXX,

I was planning on using the song in its original form, untainted. It was
simply going to be sung by the audience and performers seven times in a row
(The piece has a bit of a modernist feel, somewhere between John Cage and
Lamont(sic) Young). If this is acceptable, please let me know.

Sincerely,
C. Cody Coyne


Would this clear things up? The Sad Little Boy waited patiently...

Hi C. Cody Coyne,

Please tell me again what the performance is and in what context you wish to
use Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah. This will help me clear your request.

Thanks,



Evidently not...Once again, writing so fast he didn't know what was going or coming, the Sad Little Boy described in much better detail the inner workings of his cycle:


Dear XXXXXX,

The full project is entitled "Control" and is a cycle of six pieces, each
dealing with a differenct aspect of relations between entities and power
struggles. The First piece, "Balances I" deals with the relationship held
between the performer and the audience. Throughout the piece (it consists
of five movements), the focus and power strays from being centered entirely
on the performer to allowing more audience input. For example, in the
fourth movement, the performer is supposed to make a statement and gauge the
audiences reaction to allow for a more fluid presentation (similar to how a
comedian may read his/her audience). "Zip-a-dee-doo-dah" appears in the
final movement, when the entire body (performer and audiece) sings the
former song seven times in a row. Here is the trick in the composition:
despite enjoying such a happy tune, the Law of Diminishing Returns will take
affect and the audience may become tired. Thus, despite power of the
musical experience being handed over to them, they are still controlled by a
larger entity (the composer). This conflict will be resolved in the Fifth
piece "Balances III".

I hope this clarifies my desire and intent. I hope to hear from you soon.
Thank you for your time and patience.

Sincerely,

C. Cody Coyne


Surely Disney would understand. We are all artists. We see the world around us, we hear the sounds of life. What could be better than bridging the world through collected music spanning generations?

Very good. Can you give me the number of performance planned and the size of
the venue and the cost of each ticket.

Thanks you


Okay...the Sad Little Boy explained that tickets would probably be free, and if the piece was performed at all, it wouldn't be in an auditorium exceeding 300 seats.

....

There was no further correspondence..


//End of post//

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home