Unieuph

Universalist, Euphoniumist

"I guess I'm just attracted to talent"
-Gretchen Snedeker (d. 2008)

Monday, October 09, 2006

Weekend Rest

Time really isn't of the essence here, so I could write a leisurely post and not be afraid to miss my euphonium quartet rehearsal (the only official thing on my list today); however, I also woke up later than I wanted to, so I've missed breakfast....so don't expect the cleanest of postings.

Friday saw the first performance in a studio class. I performed the Courante from the 6th Suite (D Major), and, as usual, was quite unpleased with my performance. I had been working on pushing the tempo up to a Courante for the past week, and the exertions didn't play off as well as I hoped. I discussed performance practice with the teacher for a short while (mainly whether a Courante could effectively be passed off as a Sarabande, if you know what I mean); in any event, I went out with some friends to celebrate/commiserate a performance done.

Saturday found me at the library. Not the school, but the Central Library. This building is enormous! It was built in the 1930's as the largest municipal library in the world, and it's Music Library is larger than RNCM's. Otaining a card is as easy as filling out a form, and I was quickly submerged by James Kunstler (The Long Emergency), Michael Pollan (Botany of Desire), and Steinbeck (Burning Bright). I still need to find out if they have any Wendell Berry, and I'm still trying to find writings by Carl von Ossietzky (the 1935 Nobel Peace Prize Winner).

Sunday was laundry day; or it would have been had I understood the complexities of English laundry. My machine took 2 hours to complete a cycle, and then (I knew this part), everything had to be hung to dry. Needless to say, I'm out of khakis for the next day. Then I'll be out of something else (probably blue jeans); had I done all my wash on the same day (which would have taken more loads than I'm used to), I would be without clothes, which would guarentee I would miss quartet rehearsal! Luckily I do contain some foresight.

This week (Week 3), is bound to be the busiest yet; I have 1-2 things every day (the horror!), except Wednesday, which has a warm-up session, a lesson, and a meeting to discuss my Composition Minor. More updates as they come in.

//End of Post//

2 Comments:

At 6:30 PM, Blogger Connor said...

"Courante could effectively be passed off as a Sarabande, if you know what I mean"

No! What do you mean? :)

 
At 4:21 AM, Blogger Cody said...

The Courante and the Sarabande are two different dance styles; although both have a pulse based on three, the Sarabande is quite slow, and the Courante pretty fast. The main issue is whether playing a Courante slower would preserve the nature of the Courante, or turn it into another dance (finally resting at the Sarabande)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home