Unieuph

Universalist, Euphoniumist

"I guess I'm just attracted to talent"
-Gretchen Snedeker (d. 2008)

Monday, October 02, 2006

Creating Trouble for Myself

As I continue to work out the finer nature of finances, I continue to think about the blog and the material, and current infrequent nature of my posts. As with all good plans, I find perhaps that I am not treating my time in the most efficient manner. Or, perhaps, I am not fully appreciative of the process, rather than the product, surrounding my current conditions.

Similar to serious relationships (I decided to postpone marriage until I had a steady income that could allow me to focus on other qualities of life), I was to treat my blog to better attention after everything was sorted out. It never occurred to me that I would be in the second week of school, and my funds have not yet arrived (or even been disbursed!) So I am going to take a different approach, and embrace the fluidity of my situation, to give everyone a better perspective of what has shaped my decisions and actions during these first three weeks.

As a fellow American said the other week "I have never had such a wild ride." She was referring to the ridiculousness of American loans for students studying abroad. Her loan was disbursed on 18 Oct.; it took a week to arrive at the school, at which point she picked it up. Had she taken it to her bank here, it would take 2-6 weeks to process, because it's in US dollars. So she had to send it to her account in the US, which of course either a)takes a week, or b)costs a ridiculous amount.

My situation is a bit different. A couple weeks before leaving, I received a letter saying there was some difficulty with one of my loans. I called, and found out there was a typo with my SSN. I faxed them my card, then called the next to confirm that the change was made. I was affirmed to the change, and took the opportunity to make sure my other loan was all set for disbursement.

That was then, this is now: Three weeks here, and no disbursement. The lender seems wary to ante up, first claiming that my SSN was still incorrect, then saying it was because I didn't send the originals (I had faxed everything because I thought it would allow for quicker disbursement); at no time in my life have I done as much as I've been asked, and still denied what I've sought.

Sorry for negative, cynical, self-righteous post, and I can assure you there are many good qualities about studying outside of the US. Tonight is the "Frehser's Ball" (Fresher being the UK equivalent of Frosh), which is the end of "Fresher's Week", two weeks of fun and infinite strangeness. Posting will resume tomorrow with much happier, healthier posts (think of it like a fine class of wine every night, as opposed to a bottle a weekend). Until then, think pleasant thoughts, and take care.

//End of Post//

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home