Unieuph

Universalist, Euphoniumist

"I guess I'm just attracted to talent"
-Gretchen Snedeker (d. 2008)

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Random Ramblings

As all the hub-bub continues to patter along, I figure the best approach to the blog would be through out comments and observations in a seemingly haphazard way, hoping for a complete understanding at the end. Thank you Locke

I went out with two of the other euphoniumist postgrads yesterday. We've counted 6 total, figuring about 15 undergrad. That would put the number far ahead of Eastman's capacity, and probably over the bin for RNCM's music groups as well. I don't know how much playing I'll do in school, but I already have one gig lined up at the end of the month. Woo-hoo!

We had dinner at the "Curry Mile" a stretch of road full of Indian and Middle Eastern restaurants. At night, all the neon signs make it quite a spectacle. We were able to enjoy a nice, long meal with pleasant chatting and discussion about classes.

Classes (or, Supported Professional Studies) so far appear to be the most confusing part the program. No Theory, History, Aural Skills, etc. We have 60 credits to fill, but the minimum class credit is 20. So I will be enrolled in three classes this year. Ensembles and Chamber Music both count as one each, so I may only have one elective.

After dinner, we returned to school, looking to see what the Student Union was offering this night. It turned out to be "Drinking Games" so we passed, and went out to a bar with several saxophonists we happened upon. Much merriment ensued, until it closed (11:30ish) and I had to catch my bus.

Buses are another matter entirely. When I arrived, the Manchester Evening News was reporting massive clogs in the traffic because the buses were competing for the same routes. This is the result of Thatcherism, who deregulated the buses back in the 80's. Supposedly it lead to reduced fares (which I really haven't seen), but now it's costing massive financial blocs, as people are late to work/interviews/hospitals/etc. A one-way ticket from college to my stop at home is about £1.10, but for £2.50 I can take it, as well as any other Stagecoach bus line, for the day.

Finally, if you find yourself in England, and if you choose to take the bus, you must know that you have to flag it down like a taxi. They won't stop unless they see an extended arm, and you'll be stuck waiting for the next bus.

//End of Post//

1 Comments:

At 4:34 PM, Blogger kimberlyfitch said...

Good luck with your post-Eastman adventures!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home