Unieuph

Universalist, Euphoniumist

"I guess I'm just attracted to talent"
-Gretchen Snedeker (d. 2008)

Friday, March 24, 2006

My Life as a Nude Art Model (Dada I) - Part 1

After scanning the print and the web for two months, I finally encountered a job prospect that I may actually qualify for:

MODELS THE CREATIVE Workshop, art school of the Memorial Art Gallery, seeks models for figure sculpture and figure drawing/painting classes. Experience preferred. Reliability required. Our pay is competitive and the working atmosphere is friendly. Must be 21. Call xxxxxx at the Creative Workshop, xxx-xxxx ext. xxxx.

I had seen many different ads for modeling, but really hadn't given them much consideration. Usually they were "Come to my apartment and model nude. I can't pay you, but you can keep some prints." That didn't sound too appealing.

However, this seemed much more reasonable. I had been to MAG before, it was part of the University, so I knew it was okay. I wasn't too familiar with the program, but I could always ask any questions/concerns.

I made the call, and a couple days later, the application arrived in the mail. I just looked at it. Everything seemed basic: Name, Address, Phone Number. I quickly filled as much of it as possible, waiting on only four sections: References, Prior Experience, Reason for Modeling, and Restrictions (Nude or Clothed).

To tackle references, I went to my current employer, and a past employer. When they inquired as to the job, and told them, they didn't bat an eye. I would have at least expected smirk, raised eyebrow, any other sign that this was different than what they might have expected. But nothing.

Prior Experience: Simply put, I had none. Feeling this was a poor answer, I mentioned my four years of marching band, which gave me the ability to stand still for long periods of time. Yeah, that was the actual answer.

Restrictions: On the form, it mentioned that the majority of the classes were nude, meaning if I wanted any chance at all to model, I should probably check it off. After some deliberation, both were checked.

Reason for Modeling: another one I may have to fudge. I really just needed a job. This seemed like the best one for my skills (I can stand still pretty well). I wrote that I was comfortable with my body, and I wanted to contribute to the Art World. Melville's Moby Dick came in my mind (no jokes), as Ishmael describes his want for working on a boat:

I do not mean to have it inferred that I ever go to sea as a passenger. For to go as a passenger you must needs have a purse, and a purse is but a rag unless you have something in it. Besides, passengers get sea-sick- grow quarrelsome- don't sleep of nights- do not enjoy themselves much, as a general thing;- no, I never go as a passenger; nor, though I am something of a salt, do I ever go to sea as a Commodore, or a Captain, or a Cook. I abandon the glory and distinction of such offices to those who like them. For my part, I abominate all honorable respectable toils, trials, and tribulations of every kind whatsoever. It is quite as much as I can do to take care of myself, without taking care of ships, barques, brigs, schooners, and what not.


Could this possibly be the case? Although I'm sure some will be skeptical, I can say this had been considered, weighed, and found to be true. Understanding that our arts and senses shouldn't be segmented, broken away from each other. Like Ishmael, I will relenquish my glory in teaching, my purse in viewing art (or, in this instance, creating it), and afford my self the opportunity to be a humble model.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home