Unieuph

Universalist, Euphoniumist

"I guess I'm just attracted to talent"
-Gretchen Snedeker (d. 2008)

Friday, October 13, 2006

Janacek and Ossietzky

I finally had a lesson this week; my teacher needed to cancel Wed., then Thurs too (he lives 100 miles away, and is often out of the country, so I was a bit surprised he was able to come up today). I can continue to work on the music he's lent me, which includes(for those keeping score):

Euphonium Concerto No.2 - Philip Sparke (mountains better than his first attempt)
Euphonium Concerto No.2 - John Goland
Tubacchanale - Roger Boutry (for the French experience)
Stories for Saroyan - Elgar Howarth
Concertino for Euphonium and Band - Marco Putz (for the ridiculously difficult)

And as always, I can never forget the Bach's: JS (Cello Suite) and Jan (Concerto)

Likewise, I also played in studio again, this time with much more success. We have ensemble placement next week, and the audition includes excerpts from Grainger's Lincolnshire Posy, and Dvorak's Carnival Overture. I had to do the final bitfrom Carnival, with minim=132 (again for people keeping score)

Away from the placements, I have found a school ensemble in which I'll be playing. I am in the Symphony Orchestra next concert, in Janacek's Sinfonietta (sp?). I play minims in the 1st and 5th movements. That's about it. (The school seems to have an odd obsession with an odd composer. Yesterday I caught a performance of the Capriccio for Piano-Left Hand, and Winds, and later they will be performing one of his operas - the name which escapes me now)

In other news, I am almost finished with The Long Emergency (James Kunstler); I'll try and give a brief summary Saturday or Sunday. Then it will be the rest of Pollan's Botany of Desire, as well as my new acquirement: Secret Republic - Selected Writings of Carl von Ossietzky. After more than a month of searching, I've finally found a translation of some of his works (mentioned in two previous posts, Ossietzky was the Nobel Peace Prize winner in 1935, who wrote of the growing German militarism of the time. Sort of like a Seymour Hersh, only more so.) I may eventually read some musically relevent material.

//End of Post//

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home