Unieuph

Universalist, Euphoniumist

"I guess I'm just attracted to talent"
-Gretchen Snedeker (d. 2008)

Monday, May 21, 2007

LotW: WWO

Most of you know my obsession with Peak Oil. Several of my daily and weekly sites are related to the idea and its implications. Although I tend to read most of the pessimistic outlooks, sometimes I encounter sites that, although blatantly fictional, maintain a nice balance.

And this is when it's group-corroborated.

World Without Oil

Although I'm not a fan of fan-fiction, I have to admit thousands of people blogging about life after an oil crisis is enjoyable. You see people's worst fears and best dreams of the matter take shape. By placing themselves in a hyphothetical scenario, they can see how their lives might be affected by some large (in this event, unspecified) catastrophe that hurt our oil supplies.

And the entries are keen as well! People have written about the immediate effects, and I imagine the long-term implications (industries crashing, lower crop yield) will come in due course. People have written about riots, murders, jobs lost and government being strained; but they've also written about communities coming together, the good ol' human ingenuity, and the ways and means of looking into the past to come up with palpable solutions.

And they don't just write; they record, they video-tape, they photograph. WWO is a vertiable source of what could happen, for all the senses.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home