Unieuph

Universalist, Euphoniumist

"I guess I'm just attracted to talent"
-Gretchen Snedeker (d. 2008)

Thursday, December 21, 2006

A bit more time

I bought a larger quantity of time, making the posting and e-mail reading a bit more relaxed. I have found out this hostel is quite cheap until it comes to the extras. Internet runs at abuot $11/hour (although you can buy it in 10 or 25 minute chunks); a small glass of beer is $4.50; they do, however, have free breakfast.

I must say it is a truly different experience waking up, walking downstairs, looking outside and seeing these RIDICULOUSLY HUGE mountains nearby. I imagine it wears over time (although the hostel is supposedly a haven for Australians looking for adventure sports - Caitlin, you my enjoy it).

I went to Nice first to be relaxed (and it had, I thought, the cheapest hostel). I let myself sleep in, and headed down to the beach.The trek was quite long, and I discovered the stereotypes about French drivers are not untrue. Because my hostel was on the edge of a mountain, I would walk down some steps and suddenly find myself on the street, where cars with low visibility would whip around corners in a frenzy much like coffee shop in the morning.

The beach was practically deserted, with rock collectors, meditators, and one person wearing a wet suit (they looked so eager to run into the water). I spent most of my time at the beach, allowing my thoughts to further calm me, and enjoying the pictures my head presented.

I got lost on the way back (not unusual for me - although a bit risky in a foreign country with a foreign tongue), and had left the address, phone number, and directions back at the hostel (not the brightest idea, either). In lieu of this, I walked around, caught a bus I recognized, and got off once I was in familiar territory.

20th: Checked out without a problem, although the receptionist (who was from California) begrudgingly gave me the discount for the second night as well (she didn't have to, and I offered to pay). Got to the train station without trouble, then headed back for Milan (a bit sad because I had told myself the day before I wouldn't use the same raillines twice - broken in the first day!). Once in Milan, and excruciating wait, then the ticket to Spietz, 20 minute wait, then Interlaken (which brings us to the Funny Farm - no joke, the hostel, formerly known as the Grand Hotel, is now the Funny Farm). Today I go to Basel to visit Sarah! This was a close call because, despite getting away from the hullaballoo that is Eastman, we still have to really work our schedules to meet up.

And from there...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home