Unieuph

Universalist, Euphoniumist

"I guess I'm just attracted to talent"
-Gretchen Snedeker (d. 2008)

Sunday, November 05, 2006

There are no Universalists in England...

Today I visited the Cross Street Chapel, home of Manchester's Unitarian Church. Services start at 10:45, and there aren't choir rehearsals prior, so I slept well in the morning, and took a leisurely stroll (partly due to the fact I thought it started at 10:30).

The church itself is quite interesting; located on Cross Street, it balances between City Hall (home of citizenry) and Arndale, the primary shopping center (home of consumerism). Walking past Albert Square (someone finally did let the prince out of the can!), which rests in front of CH, it was intriguing to see in the distance shops and the Manchester Wheel/Eye. Seeing myself as a pilgrim of sorts, I recalled Hawthorne's Celestial Railroad, and the John Bunyan work on which it was based (Pilgrim's Progress). I felt I could embark on temptation and place myself squarely in Vanity Fair, surviving needless capitalist pleasures (in the end, I bought a coffee).

Reading my newest intellectual inquiry Findley's Silent no More..., I sat outside the church until about 10:40. Then I stepped in.

The church is quite new, and old, with it's foundation poured in 1997 and it's roots shooting back to the 1662; the Sanctuary is round, with about 150 chairs placed in three sweeping rows, stopped towards the other side by a piano and small organ. The chalice was in the center, in front of a lectern.

Today's sermon was an historical account of Joe Priestley "Gunpowder Joe".There were about 10 people today, which may be because it was a lay service "of sorts" (the lady who presided is an ordained minister and teaches at a Unitarian University). I was pleased to discuss music, religion, et. al. in the true UU Communion "Coffee Hour".

It was here that I sadly learned "There are no Universalists in England." One of the members had sung in a choir at the Unitarian Church in Rochester, but stated so boldly England's lack of Univ's when I specified I had attended the Universalist Church. Such a shame.

In any event, I was greeted by a welcoming congregation, despite my American shortcomings. More will be posted in the ensuing weeks of spiritual enlightenment.

//End of Post//

1 Comments:

At 10:51 AM, Blogger The Jedi Family of Blogs said...

Ohhh, I heard that crack about choir practise prior to the service! We Universalists miss you, anyway, Cody! :) I'm glad you're finding a spiritual community actoss the sea...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home